Thursday, June 12, 2014

Why Music Matters

Music helps us more than it hurts us. For many, it's our therapist. Sometimes it's  a temporary lover. It's anger management, it's an emotional amplifier.

I've seen paintings that have brought tears to my eyes. One time I went to a show and I told the artist how moved I was by his work. He told me, "Without music none of these could have ever been possible."

"How so?" I asked.

"Music drives the emotion from my body. Without it, it would be stagnant."

My daughter cries when she hears certain songs. Once I asked her why and she told me it was the most beautiful thing she had ever heard.

When I write I need music to help me get into the feel of the moment. I NEED IT.

In an apocalypse music would easily be something I would fight to revive. It started somewhere once didn't it? Music only dies if you let it.

When I grieve, music offers me solace.

When I celebrate, music gives me the soundtrack to help me express just how happy I am.

Music matters because it's a guide... A role model. 

It's so powerful that lyrics of hate, violence and prejudice have caused riots. You set the tone. Music makes us do wonderful things... crazy things.

The diversity in music is what I love most. I can just as easily dance down the aisle at my local food store to The Temptations as I can to Katy Perry.

Music matters because we want it to... We need it to.


No comments:

Post a Comment